Friday, November 13, 2015

Week 9 - William Chan

In Daniel C. Tsang's article, Notes on Queer 'N Asian Virtual Sex, Tsang covered a lot of material and concerns about Asian men's sexuality. The point of interest I had in this article was the idea that Asian's were seen as 'exotic' or Asians are more desirable because they are seen as the 'other'. This was a interesting point I can personally relate to because growing up; if I was not with my 'Asian friends'; I would be the only Asian hanging out with my friends who are ethnically Latino or African descent. This reminded me of when I was younger because people would be attracted to me because I was 'Asian'. Whether they were attracted to me due to my physical traits or the idea that I don't act like an 'Asian'; this idea that Tsang brings up about being exotic was something I can relate to directly and agree with. This concept that Tsang talks about is on point when Tsang says how Asians might 'resent as objects' due to their identification and how Asians are exoticized and it's true because people put a lot of emphasis on Asians; especially when having a mixed breed child with an Asian and person of African descent or if they're Latino/Latina. It brings out this idea of 'new' and exoticism.

Where does this 'exotic' label come from and why/how does it only affect Asians?


https://www.reddit.com/r/OkCupid/comments/1sfh9d/my_reaction_when_a_guy_on_ok_cupid_calls_me/

No comments:

Post a Comment