Sunday, November 22, 2015

Week 11 blog: Ralph Imatong

Homeland Idealism


In Regina Lee's article, Theorizing Diaspora: Three Types of Consciousness, she talks about the homeland idealism as one of the consciousness that is driven by narratives and a strong connection to the homeland. When I read this section of the article, I immediately thought of the ideas that I would do in my homeland if I go back. Maybe at this point my ideas are naïve and maybe childish, but I want my ideas to be successful and implemented in a way that helps a lot of people. However, I found out in this article that sometimes this kind of idealism is only a "supplement" that fills a void, almost just an imagination. But it is hard for me to accept this. Maybe at this point in time, my ideals for the homeland are still a supplement that fills a void of longing and nostalgia, but I know that one day it becomes a reality that will make a difference to the homeland. In some sense, I think homeland idealism is needed to keep the diaspora thinking of a positive homeland. I think it is needed for us to help us shape the homeland, if we can, in the future.



Why is it that the homeland myth and the myth of return is a powerful factor for the diasporic experiences, and what are the implications of believing in these myths?

A painting depicting the sorrows and hopes of Filipinos

Reference

Lee, R. (2004). Theorizing Diasporas: Three Types of Consciousness. In R. Goh & R. Wong (Eds.), Asian Diasporas: Cultures, Identities, Representations (pp. 53-76). Hong Kong: Hong Kong University Press.

No comments:

Post a Comment