Sunday, November 22, 2015

Week 11: Kristina Nguyen

(Re)Thinking Diaspora

Regina Lee's “Theorizing Diaspora: Three Types of Consciousness” determines that three consciousness are present in Asian diaspora: idealization of homeland, multicultural manifestation, and transformational identity politics. "Diasporic is the term often used today to describe practically any population which is considered or transnational" To expand on this idealization of homeland, I often see Vietnam as my homeland, although I was born and raised in the United States. I definitely do have this idealization about Vietnam though; and this idea of wanting to transform it. It probably has to do a lot with the motivation I receive from my family living in Vietnam still that they have so much hope for me to do good and contribute to the greater good of wherever I'm at as well as Vietnam. Diaspora allows oneself to remain connected to their roots; it promotes a sense of conscious of what they believe in, although it contributes to this homeland "myth" where immigrants foresee their homeland to change to fit their vision and one day return.

What is so negative about this "homeland myth"?

Picture of Vietnamese American's holding the South Vietnam flag.

No comments:

Post a Comment