Saturday, February 8, 2020

Week 6__Anna Yang__ASA114

In Stuart Hall's article regarding "Cultural Identity and Diaspora", he brings forth the meaning of cultural identity and how there are two different ways to describe this. The first position he says is one shared culture in which a collective of 'one true self' and how shared history and ancestry are in common. Another position he described it as ever changing. He then later analyzes how cultural identities are tied in to and rooted deep within the history and how you are able to identify yourself with the past of others. I believe that this is true as an Asian-American, I do identify myself as Chinese but I would add American at the end of it because this is the country I was raised in and identify with the cultural ties behind it. I still do identify China as my homeland but very distant because I am unaware of their cultural history and how I can relate to that. This in a way allows the ability for hybrid cultures which Hall talks about. In recent years, many Asian places have been combining their ties of their ethnicity to fuse it with the American way of living, a good example could be food and the arts.


Q: How can cultural identity be different if we are 1st generation Asian-Americans?


No comments:

Post a Comment