Tuesday, February 11, 2020

Week 7 - Douglas Tran - ASA 114


Growing up, music played a HUGE role in my life. I learned the drums at an early age and I was in band throughout my middle and high school years. At home, my parents would turn on the Kareoke machine and sing a bunch of Vietnamese songs and eventually, I was able to hum the tune or know the main lyrics in some of the more frequent songs. One particular artist that I remember from my childhood is  Đàm Vĩnh Hưng. I don’t know much about him or his music, but I remember vividly that my parents would always play his music as ambient music in the house. Throughout this week’s reading, I felt that the resilience of music in Vietnamese history proved true in my very own household. Also, my family was a big fan of Paris By Night. Despite being created in the 80s, the Paris By Night films that my parents used to watch still had an effect on my generation.  This shows that the efforts to preserve and create Vietnamese art worked because it has rooted itself in different Vietnamese enclaves around the world. Another side note I connected to from this chapter is the nightclub Lido in San Jose. As a kid, my parents would always go to this club and I never realized that it was a prominent institution in the Vietnamese diaspora. I thought this chapter was very interesting because it had a lot of ties to my own life. 

Image result for paris by night vietnamese

Works Mentioned

Kieu-Linh Valverde. "Popular Music: Sounds of Home Resistance and Change."

https://thuynga.com/media/catalog/product/cache/6/image/370x370/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/p/b/pbn127_square_cover.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment