Saturday, September 26, 2015

Week 2: Hu-Dehart - “Introduction: Asian American Formations in the Age of Globalization” (Ang, Adrian)

One major framing idea posed in Hu-Dehart’s “Introduction: Asian American Formations in the Age of Globalization” was the notion of whether or not Asian Americans (specifically, those who are of an Asian nationality but are raised in the United States) bear the responsibility of serving as a physical and symbolic bridge between Asians and Americans. In the efforts of trying to understand the text more, I contextualized this notion with myself, an Asian American of Filipino descent. Personally, I felt that since I do understand both aspects of my identity as Filipino and as American and also am familiar with their respective cultures from being raised by my family with Filipino values and raising myself in American society by peers, mentors, and institutions, I realize that I have the experiences that qualify me to be a liaison between Asia and America; however, I don’t believe that I am ever obligated to bear that title, simply because I am Asian American. In the context of this week’s topic, globalization, I think that my identity as an Asian American of Filipino descent is inseparable from my parents emigrating to the United States. In contextualizing my own identity to help understand Hu-Dehart’s idea of serving as a bridge, I am curious to see what other Asian Americans think as well. Do you believe that Asian Americans bear the obligation of serving as a bridge for Asians and Americans because of our experiences as Asian and American; why or why not?

Members of APEC (Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation, c. 2008), comprised of countries along the Pacific Rim
Sources:
Evelyn Hu­Dehart. “Introduction: Asian American Formations in the Age of Globalization.”
http://mfat.govt.nz/images/apec/map.gif

No comments:

Post a Comment