Sunday, September 27, 2015

Week 2 Alaina Cagalingan

In Evelyn Hu-Dehart’s article “Asian American Formations in the Age of Globalization,” many Asian Americans experience transnationalism differently such as Gary Locke and Jessica Elnitiarta who were considered as “bridge-building transnationals”. (p.9) Gary Locke, for example, is the first elected Asian American governor outside of Hawaii and is a transnational who many considered could be a link on the Pacific Rim, which can politically benefit both the US and China. Similarly, Jessica Elnitiarta, daughter of Ted Sioeng, grew up in various Asian countries before becoming a permanent resident in America.  When she continued her father’s business in the US, she still remained her ties to her home countries through her father’s businesses which were located internationally.  Both Locke and Elnitiarta were transnationals lived simultaneously as an American and maintained also their Asian ties due to familial reasons.  As for me, I could have gradually forgotten my Filipino culture, but I am very grateful that I was able to maintain my ties since my parents continued to speak Tagalog and instill the Filipino values even after our arrival here in the US.  Because of my parents, I feel the need to give back to my fellow Filipinos when I become successful.  

Reference:  Evelyn Hu-Dehart "Asian American Formations in the Age of Globalization"


No comments:

Post a Comment