Thursday, September 24, 2015

Aung Lin-Week 2-Blog 2

Blog2-Week 2
            I will be writing my blog about Hu-Dehart’s article. I learned that Gary Locke was elected as the governor of the state of Washington. Locke’s hometown is Taishan County, Guandong Province in South China. I was pretty shocked by this because before I read this article I’ve only heard of Asian politicians elected as mayors and I’ve never heard of an Asian governor. Gary Locke is the first Asian American governor outside of Hawaii. By reading Hu-Dehart’s article, I learned that Chinese is the largest and oldest diasporic Asian ethnic group. I was thinking that it makes sense because from what I know, Chinese were the first Asian to come to America and China is the most populated country on earth. Hu-Dehart’s article also talked about how Asian Americans are better educated than the rest of America and she even used statistics to prove it but I learned from my other ASA classes that this is call model minority myth.

Gary Locke
1st Asian American Governor outside of Hawaii


Questions:
1) Are Du-Hart’s statistics that she showed in her article accurate? Do Asian people have more college degrees than the rest of America? What about the model minority myth? Where did that go?

2) Are Chinese the largest diasporic Asian ethnic group because of China’s population? Are Chinese the oldest diasporic Asian ethnic group because Chinese came to America before other Asians? How exactly did Chinese become oldest and largest diasporic Asian ethnic group? 


Work Cited

Hu-Dehart, Evelyn. 1999. Introduction: Asian American Formations in the Globalization. Edited by Evelyn      Hu-Dehart. Across the Pacific: Asian Americans and Globalization. Philadelphia: Temple University Press.

h

No comments:

Post a Comment