Sunday, March 8, 2020

Week 10_Natalie Lortz_ ASA114

Regina Lee's, "Theorizing Diaspora: Three Types of Consciousness" isolates three different ytypes of consciousness as  Homeland Idealization, Boutique Multiculturalism, and Transitional Ethnic Identities. Homeland idealization describes a community with a nostalgic longing for the homeland, romanticizing a return, and picturing the homeland as frozen in space and time. Boutique multiculturalism is similar to liberal multiculturalism as we discussed in class. It is when people utilize their ethnicity as a badge of honor, differentiating themselves from white people for profit and recognition. It uses their history and background as an accolade and creates a separate set of standards for themselves. Finally, transitional ethnic identity is an ambivalent, ever changing sort of identity in which the distance between where your ancestors came from and where you are presently located is highlighted in one's identity.

Personally, the description of  boutique multiculturalism and Lee's attack on professionals that profit off it stood out to me the most. It led me to reflect on myself. Recently, I wrote a blog post for my internship about being multi-racial. In it, I tried very hard to tell a storyline about how I take pride in my cultural heritage despite family members, acquaintances, and friends questioning or flat out denying my identity. Writing it was empowering for me. Multiracial politics probably has a hand to play in this situation as well, but reading about how certain professionals utilize boutique multiculturalism actually plays into the same power structures that exist and create different standards depending on your ethnicity disturbed me a little. I can see Lee's point of view in the context that she explains it, however, I don't agree that it is a negative thing. For so long, people of color have been excluded from pay and high social circles that white people can be born into. I think it's fair that Asian Americans have found a way to utilize their distinction for economic gain, rather than continue with the same story. If Asian Americans are read by a different standard, then I feel that is just accepting the reality that they are measured by a different standard.  While I don't endorse boutique multiculturalism per se, I see no issue with people embracing their culture and being unafraid to discuss it.


No comments:

Post a Comment